Thread: Headguards ???
View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 29, 2009, 01:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Headwear For Medical Reasons Or Guard ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
3.5 Situation A: In the case of headwear for medical, cosmetic or religious reasons, the state association may approve upon proper documentation as in 3-5-3 Exception a.
tjones1: Good citation, but one that poses a problem. If we deem this device to be "headwear for medical reasons", then 3.5 Situation A may require us to ask for, and get, proper documentation from the state association. On the other hand, if we deem this to be a "guard", as in 3-5-2, then the player doesn't need to get proper documentation from the state association to play in the game.

Would a note from the state association be required? NFHS 3-5- Exception: State associations may on an individual basis permit a player to participate while wearing a head covering if it meets the following criteria: a. For medical or cosmetic reasons – In the event a participant is required by a licensed medical physician to cover his/her head with a covering or wrap, the physician's statement is required before the state association can approve a covering or wrap which is not abrasive, hard or dangerous to any other player and which is attached in such a way it is highly unlikely that it will come off during play. It just says that the state association must approve the head covering based on a statement from a doctor. It doesn't say if the state association must provide written documentation for the team to show to officials.

This team was from out of our area, but I did suggest to the coach that he get a doctor's note and keep it in his first aid kit, just in case the device was questioned. It looks like I gave him some bad advice. If it's a "guard" then he doesn't need a note. If it's "headwear for medical reasons", then a doctor's note won't do him any good, he'll need a note from the state association, or maybe not, according to what I questioned in my second paragraph.

Additional comments from the Forum would be appreciated.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 29, 2009 at 02:07pm.