View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Probably so. However, the arguments made to preclude this from the rule book don't bear up to scrutiny in my opinion. It's not like I'm asking for another rule. If that were the case then the frequency argument might have some force. I'm asking for an extension to the BI definition. I'm not asking for anything that would require any additional judgment on the part of the official.
But you are asking to take an action that is currently legal and make it illegal. What form it might take in the rules book is only part of the story. The rest of the world would perceive it to be a new rule: "New rule this year guys, you cannot touch the backboard when blocking a shot, or it could be called goal tending." It would have some impact on nearly all shot blocking around the basket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
If a player hits the backboard in disgust while the ball is on the rim, we T up the offender and if the ball falls of the rim we can't award a basket. How does that make any sense?
Since the mere fact that a slap on the backboard caused a ball to fall off the rim isn't a violation, a T for unsporting conduct, without awarding points, is consistent.

I just don't see the committee making what would be widely perceived as a rule change simply because occasionally somebody loses a basket over this. Perhaps if it became an issue in a high profile game somewhere you might get some interest. Other than that, if it ain't broke don't fix it.