View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 18, 2000, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cmcallm
[B]Question: Are we to try and judge what a pitcher's intent is when throwing at a batter's head, or just dump anyone who throws one up there for whatever reason? IMO there is no way Veres was intentionally throwing at Patton - there was no past history and nothing going on in the game that would dictate it. If we dump anyone who throws at a batter's head, we're going to send a lot of wild High School pitchers packing way too early...

CMCALLM - The point I'm trying to make is: We do not want pitcher's throwing at the head area - PERIOD. If the rules stay the way they are - it's just a matter of time before, someone gets seriously injured for life or even killed.

When it comes to throwing at the head - Intent shouldn't even come into play. In football if a player grabs the facemask - does the referee ask - Did he intend to do it? - No, there is an automatic penalty assessed either 5 or 15 depending upon the severity of it.

If you examine the "bean balls" thrown by Clemens or Veres - who knows what would have happened if the pitch say hit the temple area of one's head.

If we dump anyone who throws at a batter's head, we're going to send a lot of wild High School pitchers packing way too early...
To that I say - TOO BAD - LEARN HOW TO PITCH. if they are that wild - try another position.

I'm not saying - Do not throw inside. As I mentioned in my orinial thread - F1 can bust a player inside (below the shoulder's) anytime he wants - but the Head area - Stay away and until a rule is put in -STRICTLY PROHIBITING THIS - I'm afraid there will be a real ugly incident someday.

I do not know about you but when F1 hits another player in the head area in my games - They are gone - I do not care about intent because in the Macho HS era we live in - Almost always there WILL BE retaliation and a brawl to follow.

F1 can do many things but stay away from the Head.

Pete Booth