View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 20, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Maybe not, but it also doesn't make sense to think that they wrote a play which makes one of these refs stick with a wrong call even if he realizes it after the fact.
Again, here's my theory, fwiw: Having two officials call/signal/premliniary signal is a bad mechanic, especially in the case of the block/charge call. My feeling is the rules committee wants to make the solution to a bad mechanic situation as un-palatable as possible, while still being kinda fair, so it gives the officials an incentive to do it right the first time. If the proper mechanics are followed, such as no quick preliminary signals, and yield to the official whose primary the call is in, the need for this rule will never come into play.

You are arguing with the wrong people on this. In fact, you have now also earned my "Tilting at Windmills" Award (which I usually reserve for Snaqs):

I agree the "best" method is the NCAA-W method, which is the 2 officials come together and figure out whose primary the call should come from, and go with one call. But we do not get that option in NFHS, no matter how hard you try to fit it in to your logic. It is straight forward, in black-and-white, and in the case of the blarge only. If you want to lobby the rules committee to change it, I'll be one of the first to sign your petition. In the meantime, rulz is rulz.

(Used with permission.)