View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm View Post
Just curious as to how everyone reads their rulebook, and how to learn from it most effectively? When I started two years ago I started going from cover to cover, but am thinking that might not be the best way. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

(If it matters, FED rulebook, casebook, and manual).
I do not read the OBR rule book because there are some 230 or known errors in it to begin with. Also, it is poorly writen and poorly indexed. I simply use the OBR rule book as a reference then use my J/R manual to understand the rules.

I echo Bob J. When learning FED or NCAA rules learn them SEPARATELY. Do not try and Co-mingle them or it will drive you nuts.

Also, IMO the best way to learn the rules is by actual practice. Just like many things in life there are books and then there is actual practice. To learn FED rules not only do you need to read the Rule / case book but you also need to umpire in leagues that use those rules ala HS and some travel leagues that adopt FED rules.

All in all from my experience most amateur leagues / are a hybrid so IMO, it's important to have Carl Childress's BRD (baseball rule differences) handy.

Example:

American Legion baseball is OBR based EXCEPT.

American Legion uses the Collegiate Collision rule and FPSR. FWIW Thank GOD they do not use the NCAA DH rule.

In summary: Learn each code separately, umpire in leagues that use those rules. Keep a BRD handy.

Pete Booth