View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendi View Post
Palming or carrying is when a player gains an advantage when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a player’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble.
First, I wanna agree with the other people who are saying that NECESSARILY there doesn't have to be advantage gained. I don't know how much it happens in women's ball but in men's players like to do a little shimme shake to throw off a defender and in the process they allow tge ball to come to rest but yet they go nowhere and don't beat the dribbler. These are good palming violations to take bc it betters the game especially if you can get it early in the game.

Secondly, on the topic of the play in the OP, he is exactly right. Taking the ball from one hip, cupping it and pushing it to the other side, especially with a closely guarded defender, is a violation and should be called more often in my opinion. This move is, in fact, very advantageous since the player never really has to cross over, allowing the def. Just the opportunity to make a steal. He/she now has no chance at it. Granted, like I said earlier if it is obvious enough u still have to call it. Being justified on tape is all you need!