View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
Related question:

A1 jumps to shoot a free throw and is fouled by B1 before returning to the floor. A1's free throw is a)unsuccessful or b) successful. Ruling?

I am going to look it up, but I thought the discussion would be useful concerning live ball, try, free throw rules, etc.
Nasty, nasty question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
While logic might suggest that the penalty would be 1 shot in either case, there is no defined penaly for being fouled in the act of shooting a FT aside from being in the bonus. The defined penalties only reference being fouled in a 2 point try or a 3 point try.
A correct answer. The NFHS does not have rules coverage for a foul in this situation. Per the definitions of airborne shooter, common foul, personal foul, this foul cannot be a common foul. It is committed against and airborne shooter and therefore must be a personal foul. However, as Camron notes, there is no penalty listed in the book. I love learning stuff like this! I'll note here that there is a similar problem for the bonus as nowhere in the NFHS rules does it state to award the first FT of the 1-and-1 for common fouls 7, 8, and 9 of a half.

My solution: Call such a foul an intentional personal foul for taking a cheap shot at the FT shooter while he is in a defenseless position and assess the penalty for that. 2 FTs and possession of the ball.