View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
You're right, I'm hung up on what appears to be a requirement (per the casebook) that the receiver must be downed in order for forward progress to apply.
And, admittedly, I'm also somewhat hung up by a clear ruling in NCAA that the play in question does not result in a TD and my not being able to find any substantial difference in the applicable rules between the two. The only difference being in NFHS the ball must be possessed in the EZ (but in this case the catch must also be completed) and the NCAA says the receiver must catch the ball in the EZ. So from what I can see, the problem remains no clear interp from NFHS since the one given has the pesky "is downed" component, while NCAA has a definite interp.
For what it's worth Mike, there are a lot of NCAA interpretations that simply don't apply to NFHS. Those perceptions are not necessarily better, or worse, just different. Trying to apply one to the other is like trying to force a square peg into a round hole, sometimes.

I have no idea where you're going with, "I also think your reasoning is faulty because what you have stated could be interpreted to apply to the play in question whether or not any contact by a defender was made. You still have not addressed that either.", or what you are referencing. As for the referenced case book play, I do not read into it what you apparently do, sorry.