View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post

In your example, the receiver possessed the ball in the endzone and landed out of bounds. That is an incomplete pass. Because the receiver never touched the ground inbounds.
That has never been my example. I have consistently said the receiver landed inbounds. And I think you should reconsider your conclusion on your play. You may want to consider the possibilities of casebook play 7.5.2 sit K (2008)

Quote:
I think people are getting hung up on the forward progress part of this. I don't think that's quite relevant. Two examples:
1. On a snow covered field a receiver loses the goal line, steps into the endzone and then back out to juke a defender. Touchdown no forward progress spot.
This is also a change from the question at hand because now you are talking about a runner who carried the ball from the field into the EZ, which is entirely different.

Quote:
2. A receiver catches the ball in the air near the back of the endzone and is carried out of bounds in a way that prevents him from returning to the ground inbounds but in the direction of the back of the endzone. No forward progress spot, just a touchdown.
True if he's carried. Again, you may want to consider the possibilities of casebook play 7.5.2 sit K (2008)