View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
You guys are all missing the point. Forward progress only applies when it is "the end of advancement" (as quoted from 2-15-1). If I am hit while airborn and not tackled or the ball is otherwise declared dead because I'm getting pushed back (forward progress awarded), I have not ended my advancement. If that hit only pushes him back and he first touches the ground outside the end zone, he is not awarded forward progress. That is the definition everyone seems to be missing. I don't think it's vague at all. Since forward progress is not awarded if the receiver regains control and gets away from the defender, you do not award forward progress. The case book above even mentions "where he is downed" implying the receiver was tackled as part of the contact.
I have to agree with HLinNC and ajmc that Forward Progress was stopped in the end zone ... Touchdown.
Case Book 2.15.1 Ruling b states ... it is a touchdown if the covering official judges that the contact by B1 is the cause of A1 coming down at the 2 yard line, instead of in the end zone.
The Ruling does not say that A1 is tackled, it simple says that A1 came down on the 2 yard line.