Thread: Questions?
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Questions?

I ref volleyball games for a local parks and rec league. They are Coed Games and alot of the players come from high school and or college volleyball backgrounds. That being said the local league doesn't have an adopted set of rules. They have a small handout with a handful of rules listed. No kicking ball, If more then one guy contacts the ball then a girl must touch the ball as well before going over, etc. My questions are not covered in the local rules so I am looking for answers that are more of the standard.

1. One guy blocks the ball then it is contacted by another guy on his team and goes over the net. Does this violate the coed rule of 1 girl touching the ball if more then 1 guy touches the ball while it is on his side of the net. Or does the block not count as a touch therefore no violation.

2. A hitter spikes the ball down that hits the floor, then after the ball hits the floor the hitter makes contact with the net. Does the ball contacting the floor first end play so the net contact is a mute point?

3. A back row player comes in front of the 10' line and jumps to spike a ball. The player is very short and her jump only gets her an inch or two above the floor. She hits the ball while it is below the net. Is this a back row attack?

4. Team A hit's the ball 3 times on their sid of the net hit 3 put's the ball close to the net but it is obviously not going to go over the net. A player from team B seeing the ball close to the net reaches over the net and spikes it to the floor. Is these a violation on team B for reaching over the net or does play stand fault on team A for not getting the ball over?

I am talking to the league rep. about adopting some set of Official rules so there will at least be a set of rules to fall back on. Then his local rules can overide if he wants something different.