View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA v NFHS Free Throw Lane Violation

Just got a memo from my NCAA supervisor who had observed several scrimmages. One of the comments he made was this: 7. Defensive players in the first lane space during foul shots are not permitted to put their arm in front of the player in the second lane space.

At first my reaction was, "where does it say that?", as I am certain that is not the rule in the NFHS (case book 9.1.3 Situation L confirms). So, I go to the NCAA rule book and sure enough rule 9, Art 2.h. states: Players occupying any of the legal marked lane spaces on ech side of the lane may break the vertical plan of a lane-space boundary once the free-thrower has released the ball. Art 2.i. seems to be redundant, but contains language similar to NFHS pertaining to not having either foot break the boundry line (isn't the foot part of a player...?)

My point/question - this doesn't appear to be new; has it ever been enforced? Or have I just been uninformed for 20+ years. Further investigation reveals that the language in the rule book has not changed significantly for 15 years, but a case book play existed from 1993 to 1998 (only books i have in my office) reads as follows:
Rule 9 Section 1. Play 2: Before a free throw is released, a player in the second lane space extends his or her arms over the area between the lane spaces. RULING: Legal if there is no contact.

Is my supervisor incorrect?