View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snocatzdad View Post
I'd rather see the error made in that direction. Far as I'm concerned that should be a pretty big strike zone if a player is hit anywhere near the plate. I agree this one ump blew it. Girl wasn't set up toes on the line leaning over the plate she got hit in the middle of the batters box. In umpires opinion ( and I think current rule supports this ) whether she was trying to get hit or not is not the threshhold, the rule is whether she tried to avoid getting hit and in his opinions, turning away protecting her face (which is the one place you can get hit now that doesn't hurt thanks to facemasks) wasn't attempting to avoid. Maybe there is some compromise. I'd be happy if they changed the rule to "Player cannot move with the intent to get hit"
Even then, it is still going to come back to the present detemination, the umpire's judgment. The sad part it is always going to be controversial if the umpire does not award the base.

Remember Ron Hunt?

Hit by Pitch Single Season National League Leaders on Baseball Almanac

He was one of many players who made a career by getting HBP. However, the umpires would not hold him in the box after getting hit even though his antics were almost a running joke around baseball.