View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 07:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Comments on the 2002-03 rules revisions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
I could have sworn that a team had to use a 60/fulltime out unless all they had were 30 second timeouts.
Many at our meeting thought the same thing. I was one of the few who challenged it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That timeout must be a full timeout if any are remaining. If not, a short timeout may be used.
That's what most thought. Most, but not all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
3.3.6 Sit A: Not sure if that means that a 60-second time-out is required or if that was just used as an example.
That was the only citation that we found last night. We agreed that it didn't make the answer to our question clear,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Every reference I find to this situation says the team can used a timeout to keep the player in the game. It does not specify 60 second or 30 second. Does anyone have a reference that says otherwise?
Nevadaref has the definitive reference below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
COMMENTS ON THE 2002-03 RULES REVISIONS
PLAYER WITH BLOOD OR INJURY MAY REMAIN IN GAME WITH A TIME-OUT (3-3-5 & 6): This change permits a player who is required to leave the game for blood or injury to remain in the game if the team calls a time-out (60 or 30-second) and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out. Teams may use successive time-outs to correct the situation if permitted by rule and if adequate timeouts remain. The previous rule had a potentially tremendous impact on the game when a player had blood on the uniform or body (which may not even have been their own) and was required to leave late in the game, without the ability to immediately return. Under this new rule, if a team desires to utilize a time-out and can rectify the situation by the time the ball will be put back in play, the affected player may remain in the game.
Thanks Nevaderef. Good citation. What about officials who have started their careers more recently than 2002-03? What citations can they use? How did this 60 second mandatory (incorrect) myth start? Does it have anything to do with Stat-Man's correctable error citation? What's the citation for using a 30 if they don't have a 60?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)