View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
When this rule came out we were told in our assoc meeting not to play without the correct baseballs. And so, it has not happened.
Same here in L.A.'s association, but the S.F. Valley assn. made no such edict.

When the rule came out, I bought two cases of NFHS Diamond baseballs, and I just carry them around. I had one school that had "official league" baseballs without the stamp. I just had them swap them out for six of mine with the stamp. Otherwise, if my unit didn't voice the must-have-the-stamp edict, then I would be the if-they're-hardballs-let's-play type of umpire. So in order to ensure that I can allow every game to be played, I bring my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
Depends if you are tight-a$$ed, black and white, anal rules book umpire, or an intelligent umpire.

I'd play the game. The TABAWARBU would probably enforce the rule. Sad.
So you don't have to be a "tight-@ssed, black and white, anal, rules book umpire," or an unintelligent umpire to enforce the rule plus written and spoken edict, you would merely be following the wishes of the guy who assigns all of the games for three different associations. I would say that's a sign of intelligence to do things his way.

Now, to avoid being a tight-@ssed, anal (the very same thing), black & white, by-the-book umpire on something so trivial, I bring my own baseballs.