View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snocatzdad View Post
FYI, the range of HBP ruling is wider than you might think. I had an umpire not award a HBP to a batter struck in the back while in the batter's box even though she moved, her movements were backwards (towards backstop) and rotating which umpire felt wasn't a good enough attempt to avoid being hit.

If a player turns their back to a pitch and in doing so puts their back outside the batters box and into a pitch, that's different. IMO There NEVER should be a ruling about avoiding the pitch when the pitch enters the batters box.
Personally, I really don't care where the batter is facing. I am not suggesting umpires ignore the HBP, maybe this umpire just blew it. Or maybe the umpire saw something that gave him/her cause to believe the player was trying to get hit. I don't know, I wasn't there.

I'm simply saying that if IMO the batter was trying to get hit, I do not care where the ball was, that batter isn't going to 1B.

With the "ball doesn't belong in the batter's box" logic, than a batter should never be awarded a base if it by a ball out of the BB whether they try to avoid or not, right?

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Tue Nov 10, 2009 at 12:57am.