View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
The inconsistent application I can buy, but to change a rule for that reason is ridiculous.

I think part of the issue is that too many people have bought into the coach's argument that it was the pitcher's fault because the pitch "froze" the batter. Bull!

While my primary game is presently SP, I've been doing this for a while, and I've never had a problem judging a batter's reaction, or lack of, to a pitched ball and that includes that little ball game.

And if the ball "does not belong in the batter's box", why do we rule on an unintentional batted ball if it hits the bat "in the batter's box"?

IMO, this is a weak.
FYI, the range of HBP ruling is wider than you might think. I had an umpire not award a HBP to a batter struck in the back while in the batter's box even though she moved, her movements were backwards (towards backstop) and rotating which umpire felt wasn't a good enough attempt to avoid being hit.

If a player turns their back to a pitch and in doing so puts their back outside the batters box and into a pitch, that's different. IMO There NEVER should be a ruling about avoiding the pitch when the pitch enters the batters box.