View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

"it momentarily gets away from the dribbler"

I believe this is a HORRIBLE definition. What does that mean??? Total opinion of the referee on the play whether the ball "momentarily gets away from the dribbler." I truly believe the OP should be an OOB violation because player control NEVER ceased as no one deflected it and she goes OOB and comes back, but because of this definition's ambiguity it now puts me at an impasse. I think, because of this definition you could be right by calling this either way.

I also i would like to say in regards to the original post that on a "save" where A1 goes OOB, that I understand what people are saying about you deeming the save to be a dribble or not but I believe an easier way to help with this play is to determine whether it was a bat or a "controlled save". If a player just slaps the ball back onto the floor then he/she has the right to come back and gain possession and/or dribble, but if the player "cups" the ball in his hand and throws it back onto the floor then he/she is not allowed to be the first to touch the ball. I've always found that to make it easier and the wording is simpler to me.

Also, for those who work college ball, this is an important distinction because if the defensive team is the team that saves it, and does so in a controlled manner and the offensive team retains possession then this would be a reset of the shot clock vs. a defensive player slapping it back onto the floor which would not constitute a reset of the shot clock.