View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 10:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Time out request answer;
In the online hypothetical world my answer is yes. The player has control of the ball so I would grant the timeout.

In the real world. Who is asking for the timeout? The coach? Obviously not the player who is busy trying to score. So, in the real world am I going to take my eyes off the player in the middle of a dribble move while being heavily defended? No. Once the play has settled down, I will look over and identify who is calling time out and grant it.

In the real world how can you ever call a time out in between a dribble? I DO understand the rational behind asking the question though and it makes sense.

I am enjoying this post and it is really useful when you know the rule but still need to look up the exact wording and of course double check to not sound too foolish. I really think this type of thing makes everyone involved better at officiating. Agreeing with one another has nothing to do with the learning process.
Since Welpe did me a favor, I'm still convinced that an interrupted dribble is the right call, and therefore a play on.

As for the timeout: there are two or three of you out there, and chances are decent that a partner can see the coach if this play is happening in front of you as trail. Or a teammate right in front of the L or C could request it. You're right, the trail has other things to watch. Although it's not likely, the ball handler could request it as well if he thinks quickly enough and sees a defender coming to get the ball he voluntarily let go.

Personally, based on the definition of an interrupted dribble (which says nothing about control except for the result of the ruling), I think you'd be wrong to grant a timeout requested during this time. In that sense, an interrupted dribble is much like an airborne pass. There is no player control no matter how precise the throw was.

Edited to add: I agree this discussion is good, as it's deepening the understanding of this rule.

Last edited by Adam; Fri Nov 06, 2009 at 10:59am.