View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Time out request answer;
In the online hypothetical world my answer is yes. The player has control of the ball so I would grant the timeout.

In the real world. Who is asking for the timeout? The coach? Obviously not the player who is busy trying to score. So, in the real world am I going to take my eyes off the player in the middle of a dribble move while being heavily defended? No. Once the play has settled down, I will look over and identify who is calling time out and grant it.

In the real world how can you ever call a time out in between a dribble? I DO understand the rational behind asking the question though and it makes sense.

I am enjoying this post and it is really useful when you know the rule but still need to look up the exact wording and of course double check to not sound too foolish. I really think this type of thing makes everyone involved better at officiating. Agreeing with one another has nothing to do with the learning process.

Edit - just want to add one point. In Welpe's situation, there was an interrupted dribble. The point I am arguing is the case where the player purposely dribbles on one side of the player and runs around the other side of the player and keeps on going. This is a case where a patient whistle is required. If the move works he has player control and if the move does not work he does not have player control. This is the same as any other dribble move, like through the legs or around the back but this move is more unusual.

Last edited by hoopguy; Fri Nov 06, 2009 at 11:20am.