View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I should have been more specific about my point. I am arguing that this is not an interrupted dribble. The ball handler purposely dribbled the ball past the defender on one side and ran around the defender on the other side and away he/she went. For it to be interrupted the dribbler would need to lose control or have the defender touch the ball. This is a designed move the player is using to beat the defender. It is a dribble move like behind-the-back or cross-over. I have also seen the dribbler do the same thing but instead of pushing the ball to the side of the defender, the dribbler pushes it through the defenders legs. Either way it is just a dribble move to beat the defender and perfectly legal as long as the dribbler does not go out of bounds

The out of bounds for an unauthorized reason leaves it up to the people making the big bucks in the striped shirt to decide if the reason is authorized. From the rule book before rule 1 'a player or team should not be permitted an advantage that is not intended by a rule'. To me, going out of bounds and gaining an advantage in doing so would automatically mean that the going out of bounds is 'for an unauthorized reason' even though it does not specifically mention 'gaining an advantage' in the rule.