Thread: PSK Fouls
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 14, 2002, 03:36pm
Small Business Owner

Within the next few years!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
Is the NFHS going to finally adopt post scrimmage kick foul enfoecement this year? Every year, I hear it's close, but no cigar. This continues, in my opinion, to be the biggest inequity in NF rules. The reasons I hear for it's not being instituted seem quite lame - mostly skill level differences between college and high school.
One of the fellas in our association attends all the rules review sessions for the NFHS. He has been attending for approximatly 10+ years. While he is not a voting member, he is "IN" on the logic and thinking of the rules makers.
He predicts it will pass within the next three to five years. The reason it has not passed as of yet is the thinking of the "Braintrusts" of the NFHS is it is "too complex" and adds exceptions to the "All but one" principal, yadda, yadda, yadda!
While I agree that current NFHS rules are intentionally simple and therefore do not contain an entire appendix of acceptions such as the NCAA book, I concur with you 100% that the time for adjustment is at hand. Hell if you can't remember the four requirments for PSK, THEN WRITE THEM ON YOUR HAND!!!
The vote has been very close in recent years including two or three years ago when it missed passing by five or less votes. It will be on the table again this year and hopefully it can make it through some of the "loggerheads" that call themselves voting members.
Who knows maybe this is the year! Just think, no more will we have a 4th and 4 for A turn into 1st and 10 for A for a stupid invalid fair catch signal! Or, 4th and 9 turned into 1st and 10 on a defensive holding call!

Other changes you will most likely see "soon":
1) OPI will be reduced in severity! Several states experimented with it this year. Don't know what the penalty was they experimented with but any change sounds great to me.

2) 4 players required on each side of the kicker on Free Kicks when the ball is kicked. Live ball foul, Illegal Procedure, 5 yards. This was is merely or safety on onside kicks.

Once a change in OPI starts I predict it will be played with for a few years similar to when the "ADJUSTED" Ineliglible reciever down field. Remember when "inelibible" was 15 and LOD? (I think I may have just dated myself) Then it went to 15 and no LOD, 5 and LOD, and currently (for the last 10 or so years) it is 5 yards.
I think a good "Start for OPI would be either 5 and LOD, or 15 and no LOD!

My 2 cents