View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Treatment of female umpire in Minor Leagues

I'm reading a book on professional umpiring (As They See'em- a really great read by the way), and it talks about how Ria Cortesio was treated in the minor leagues. Umpires said that she wasn't very good as a partner for example. They said she slept with players, and the players said she "chased the ball". On one occasion, her crew members stood in the outfield during the national anthem leaving her at home plate, an obvious sign of disrespect. The higher powers interpreted it as her inability to control her crew, and it reflected badly on her. She was kept in AA for an exceptionally long time, and even though she was next in line to be promoted to AAA, she somehow fell down the list in rankings and was later released. I felt that a lot of comments about her had to have been untrue. After all, how does someone get all the way to AA despite all these negatives? Then I came across this video: YouTube - Montgomery Biscuits Manager Billy Gardner Jr. Melts Down.

It appears that she doesn't do a good job of deciding whether she is going to intervene or not. It raises the question as to how PBUC treats females, and the quality of umpiring required in the minor leagues.

Last edited by cc6; Tue Nov 03, 2009 at 05:19pm.