Thread: Lane Spaces
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 02:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
9-1-3

g. A player occupying a marked lane space may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the outside edge of any lane boundary, or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (2 inches by 36 inches) designated by a lane-space mark or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (12 inches by 36 inches) designated by a neutral zone. A player shall position one foot near the outer edge of the free-throw lane line. The other foot may be positioned anywhere within the designated 36-inch lane space.

This statement, along with...

d. No player shall enter a marked lane space or leave a marked lane space by contacting the court outside the 36-inch by 36-inch space.

...pretty much says it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Bear in mind, I am not arguing that it is legal. But if as Snaq says (and I agree) that the part of Vinski's post that is not highlighted is what addresses breaking the vertical plane. Where does it describe the vertical plane at the back of the 36 X 36 lane space?

If the part in red applies to breaking the plane, then that is the only statement we need. Both feet would have to be positioned within the 36-inch lane space, until 9-1-4.

And, the part in red is the only new part to 9-1-3(g). Does that mean that last year you could break the imaginary plane on the back of the lane space

I may get to 8000 on this thread.
I highlighted, in red, the relevant portion, that has always prohibited having either foot extended beyond the vertical plane of all four boundaries. Just because the boundary isn't marked doesn't make it any less of a boundary.

The new stuff means the following: A player may not stand with both feet to the rear of the lane space; one foot must be "near" the front.

Also relatively new, the verbiage that prevents a player from touching the floor, outside his space, with any part of his body other than the feet (which were already prevented by the "vertical plane" wording.)