View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 06:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Perception, And The Appearance Of A Conflict Of Interest ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
The NBA and the referees' union have agreed as part of the new CBA that officials will not be allowed to give monetary or other compensation as a tip to team personnel for being their gophers.
In the Catholic middle school league that I work, we have an agreement with the schools. They will not ask us to purchase tickets for the 50%-50% raffle, and we are not allowed to purchase tickets for the 50%-50% raffle. Imagine if the home team were down thirty points at halftime, and during the halftime intermission they announced that BillyMac was the winner of the 50%-50% raffle, handed me a big wad of cash, and then the home team made an amazing comeback and won the game by two points. It's all about perception, and the appearance of a conflict of interest. Of course, we still get free food from most refreshmant stands. Best fried dough in the world. To die for.

This reminds me of a true story about my exwife's Catholic parish, where they had a carnival every summer to raise money for the church. Every year they would raffle off a Cadillac, which was the epitome of luxury cars back then. One summer, the pastor, as he usually did, pulled the winning ticket out of the drum, but this time he called his own name as the winner. He had the winning ticket for the Cadillac. What are the chances of that happening? Sometimes they didn't even pull the name of a parishioner, instead someone from out of town who was visiting the carnival. Well the pastor wanted to throw out his ticket, and pick another winner for the Cadillac, but a policeman warned him that the law required him to keep the car, which he did. True story. Really.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 30, 2009 at 06:34pm.