View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

thanks!

Thanks everyone for both sides of the argument!!! Great discussion.

Perhaps in Minnesota we're much less tolerant of baiting and taunting. The player wasn't just "staring." He was committing and act that was meant to intimidate and incite ill will on an opposing player. The only difference between what he did and hovering over a player on the ground in an intimidating manner was that the opponent wasn't on the ground. The action is meaningless to the game of football other than inciting ill will (unlike say a rip move by a DE which is essentially throwing a sucker punch in the direction of an opponent - that is a meaningful football move). It's an action that precludes something much worse such as throwing a punch - you don't get the chance to "knock it off" in that case.

All great things. Perhaps my initial flag was too quick. Perhaps I let A's bench get in my head a little more than I'm willing to admit, so my flag came out quickly. The one thing you can't change I guess is that player committed acts that were meant to intimidate and incite ill will, which is against the rules. Just because they let players get away with that on Saturdays and Sundays doesn't mean anything for Friday night.