View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snocatzdad View Post
Speaking from a coaches perspective

It's too obscure, I wouldn't chance it that the umpire would call it right. If judges can legislate from the bench, I'm guessing more Umpires than not would choose to penalize a coach who got cute trying to manipulate the rule.

As for the guy who said earlier that the offensive coaches would start sending their runners as soon as they see an IP if they changed the rule. I'll list below all the coaches that would be willing to risk a baserunner on the chance that an IP is an automatic call.

List starts ....

List ends ....

(don't ban me, I ump some games too!)
Verty true! and thats why I specified "during nats".

There is a big chance that on your average weekend, you wouldnt get either call... the IP or the leaving early.. and if you did happen to get both called, they would probably get the rule wrong, afterwhich, you probably couldnt protest it anyway.

But during Nats you would probably get both calls and if it were ruled incorrectly, you could summon a National Staff UIC for an immediate protest and get the correct ruling.

Your point about penalizing a coach "getting cute" is well taken though, and very likely the actual bottom line to this.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Thu Oct 29, 2009 at 09:36am.