Thread: Substitution
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 05:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Not so fast there, my knowledgeable neighbor to the west.

My reading of the rules is that there are no substitutions prior to the start of play, even for injury, illness, or to shoot a T. Those conditions, plus "illegal equipment or apparel, etc." require "changing a designated starter". (NFHS 3-2-2, NCAA 3-3.2 reads equivalently)

The difference is important because if it's not substitution, then the original designated starter does not need to sit a tick. He could sub in for the shooter as soon as the free throws are completed.

However, if the coach decided to bring in a second player off the bench to shoot the second free throw, the game has begun at that point and that shooter would be a substitute and the player he replaces must sit a tick.

Edited to add ---------
I hate when this happens. While the rule book clearly designates this action as "changing a designated starter", the case book uses different language.

NFHS 3.2 SITUATION B "A1, who is designated as a starter 10 minutes prior to the scheduled starting time of the game, becomes ill or is injured before the game starts. RULING: A1 may be replaced without penalty as illness or injury is considered to be an extenuating and unavoidable situation which permits a substitution. A1 would be permitted to enter the game later. (10-1-2a)"

A.R. 39 reads equivalently.

So the rule book and case book use very different terminology to describe the same event. The rule book language implies that the replacement becomes a designated starter, otherwise maintaining the status quo; the case book language casts the event as a substitution. Is it just imprecise language in the case book? It would be helpful if the case discussed whether the replaced player must sit a tick.
Hey, BITS, I actually wrote a rather lengthy post on this several years ago, arguing, as you do, that the wording of the rule would permit a changed starter to not have the substitution restriction imposed upon him. The NFHS committee disagreed and published a ruling in the Simplified & Illustrated book stating that a starter replaced for a technical foul FT shooter must sit a tick and cannot re-enter until time has come off the clock. That is the source for the definitive answer. I don't care for their interpretation, but understand that that is how they want the rule applied. To me the team member was never in the game, so how can his "re-entry" be restricted? Oh well...