Thread: Shoes
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 01:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Too true. A trip to a good running shoe store can pay dividends here. They can determine if you're an under-pronator, over-pronator, or neutral. That information can help you identify characteristics of a shoe that will give you the required support, not just a comfortable fit.

But, as I alluded to earlier, over time the materials the shoe is constructed from begin to break down. Those support characteristics can change, and that can lead to discomfort, pain, even injury.

The onset of shin splints, when you're not normally prone to them, is one somewhat common sign that the shoe has broken down enough that it should be replaced.

But, there are other factors that can induce shin splints: tight calf muscles, a sudden increase in activity level, rapid increase in body weight, a change in running surface, etc. The sudden realization that the season is only x weeks away, and the resulting panicked attempt to get into shape, can subject a body to many of those conditions...all at once. So don't take shin splints as an absolute indicator that the shoes need to be replaced.
I have never had shin splints ever (knock, knock, knock). I have had some minor leg pain not associated with the knee, but never shin splint. A lot of this I attribute to not working every day, staying in relatively good shape (I even lost 20 pounds over the summer) and rotating my shoes all the time. I have several pairs of shoes and I almost never wear the same pair over and over again. Some of them I have had for some years, but have only worn maybe 20 games if that. So they stay in good shape. And if a shoe starts to break down, I do not wear them on the court anymore.

Peace