Thread: Shoes
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That can be true. But you can have a shoe that "fits" well and does not give you the support you need. I know, I had to buy some orthotics to take care of my issues with an arch. And I was having problems with shoes that seem to fit well, but did not give me what I needed and they were new. That is why shoes are such a personal thing and even the NCAA suggested that shoes should be replaced often and in many cases we should have shoes professionally fit to see how we run. Because apparently how you run and how your foot comes down has a lot to do with lower leg problems.

Peace
Too true. A trip to a good running shoe store can pay dividends here. They can determine if you're an under-pronator, over-pronator, or neutral. That information can help you identify characteristics of a shoe that will give you the required support, not just a comfortable fit.

But, as I alluded to earlier, over time the materials the shoe is constructed from begin to break down. Those support characteristics can change, and that can lead to discomfort, pain, even injury.

The onset of shin splints, when you're not normally prone to them, is one somewhat common sign that the shoe has broken down enough that it should be replaced.

But, there are other factors that can induce shin splints: tight calf muscles, a sudden increase in activity level, rapid increase in body weight, a change in running surface, etc. The sudden realization that the season is only x weeks away, and the resulting panicked attempt to get into shape, can subject a body to many of those conditions...all at once. So don't take shin splints as an absolute indicator that the shoes need to be replaced.