View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 10:08am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Coaches should not be allowed to request timeouts during live ball situations.
Not to hijack a thread, but a question about this statement.

Last week I was doing a GV Fall League game (prep for season). Gives me a good opportunity to practice 3-person and we have evaluators/trainers from our Association.

Late in 2nd half. I am T, L calls foul underneath on B3. Ball goes in basket and we'll be shooting one. As L and I switch, B coach tells me as I go by after A shoots foul shot - if ball goes in he wants a TO and if it misses and his team gets the ball he wants an immediate TO. Got it.

Ball misses, his team rebounds, I TWEET, TO B. I do all the necessary business, report to table, etc.

After the game, as part of the critique, I was asked about the situation. I explained it as above. I was told not to do it that way.

Evaluator - “What if you blow it dead and the coach says he never said that?”

Me – “Well, then I put the ball back in play quickly.”

Evaluator – “Let the coach announce it to the gym so there is no question.”

Me – “Got it.”

I was told to tell the coach - "Coach, I understand, but I need you to request the timeout so everyone hears it. Either after the ball goes through or when your team gets possession."

I understand the rationale. Thoughts? Is this how you do it? Seems to me there are plenty of times when a coach requests a timeout only to one official and there is no need for this - but, as I said, I do understand the point.