View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Causing the ring to vibrate

Rule 10-3-4 states…
A player shall not:
ART. 4 . . . Illegally contact the backboard/ring by:
b. Intentionally slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.

I’m cool with the backboard slapping part of this, but I’m not clear about the causing the ring to vibrate part. There are two areas of this that I need your input on.
1. If A1 is shooting from the perimeter and before the ball is even close to the basket B1 grabs and pulls the net or maybe just strikes the ring which causes it to vibrate, it appears that the rule is saying that this is a technical foul. I’m pretty sure that’s what it’s saying, but for some reason my brain synapses don’t want to connect on this one unless someone else says something like, “Dude, that’s what is says doesn’t it”.

2. If A1 shoots and the ball is on the ring and B1 grabs the net and causes the ring to vibrate, it appears that this rule would also indicate a technical foul. However, the rules of basket interference are in play as well. Off the cuff, I would simply go with the BI. Is this correct or would we call the T as well.