View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
[/SIZE]4-13-3 says the bench area is the area inside an imaginary rectangle formed by the boundaries of the sideline (including the bench), end line, and an imaginary line extended from the free-throw lane line nearest the bench area meeting an imaginary line extended from the coaching-box line.

[/SIZE] The coaching box extends from the 28' mark towards the endline.
[/SIZE]

I'm assuming you meant 1-13-3 and it is referring to the time-out area not the team bench. The team bench location is only a recommendation.[/SIZE]
1-13-3.......The time-out area shall be the area inside an imaginary rectangle formed by the boundaries of the sideline (including the bench), end line, and an imaginary line extended from the free-throw lane line nearest the bench area meeting an imaginary line extended from the coaching-box line.
[/SIZE]
Based on 1.13.1 (below) I was thinking that the team bench could be right next to the scorer's table and there is nothing we could do about it. Which would insinuate to me that "Coaches and players are allowed to sit beyond the coaching box line nearest the division line." The coach just wouldn't be allowed to utilize the coaching box (if there is one) based on 1.13.2.[/SIZE]
TEAM BENCH LOCATION
1.13.1 SITUATION: Upon arrival on the court, the visiting team is advised its team bench is located on the right side of the scorer’s and timer’s table. This location means the visiting team’s substitutes will have to go considerably further than the home team to reach the reporting area. The visiting coach complains to the referee. RULING: The referee has no authority to move the location of either bench, unless it involves player safety. Game or home management is responsible for designating the location of the team benches. The visiting coach must accept this designation, unless player safety is involved. Obviously, it is intended that the benches be on the floor-level seats or bleachers and that the team benches be approximately the same distance from the table whenever possible. The referee should report the unusual bench location to the state association office.
[/SIZE]

Last edited by bob jenkins; Mon Oct 26, 2009 at 08:08am.