View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Found out last weekend that there's a new procedure for "getting it right" and a coach asking an umpire to get help.

Pitch comes in, F2 bobbles it, runner on second steals third, F2 throws and runner slides in on a close play. Base umpire calls her safe.

Defensive coach wants time and I grant it (I'm the plate umpire).

He comes out and asks me if it's okay for him to go talk to the base umpire to ask if the base umpire will check with me and see if I had something different.

Since it was late at night, the third straight game that evening and about 38 degrees with a good steady gust, I told him I'd save him the trouble. I didn't have anything any different than my partner had. Which was true, since the batter jumped out of the box and right in front of me when the tag attempt was made. It seemed kind of pointless to stand around in the cold while he goes out to talk to the base umpire, then the base umpire comes in to talk to me, just to tell him I don't have anything for him!

Next time, Coach, cut out the middle man! Go straight to the umpire that made the call!

Last edited by BretMan; Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 02:09am.