Thread: tim mcclelland
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 06:17am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Unhappy SI.Com Article on Post Season Umpiring......

"I thought Cano was on the base," said McClelland, a longtime veteran and one of baseball's most respected umpires.

He said the second replay showed that Cano was off the base when he was tagged.

"I did not see that for whatever reason," he said. "I'm just out there trying to do my job and do it the best I can."

The Angels did get a break in the fourth when Swisher was called out for leaving third base too soon on Johnny Damon's fly to center field. Swisher was called out on an appeal, resulting in an inning-ending double play -- though replays appeared to show Swisher did not leave early.

"In my heart, I thought he left too soon," McClelland said. "But the replay showed that he didn't."

There was another disputed call in Game 1 at Yankee Stadium, when first base ump Laz Diaz ruled Torii Hunter out on his sixth-inning bunt. Angels manager Mike Scioscia argued that first baseman Mark Teixeira's foot came off the bag when he stretched for Sabathia's throw.

Missed calls and shaky umpiring have been an embarrassment for Major League Baseball throughout this postseason.

Entire article is at:

Umpires miss more calls in Game 4 - MLB - SI.com