View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial View Post
Then why are we calling it a block if a defender is under the basket? Because there is no way he can defend an offensive player under there, how is one expected to defender a player with his back to the offensive player? The kid is not even playing defense, lets go ahead and reward bad defense.

I'm going with what John Adams has said in the very room I was sitting. Defensive players job is to stop an offensive player. Not much defense going on with their back to the offense.

Yes I will call it a block
Call it a block... and you will be calling it wrong. NFHS specifically has stated there is no resticted area, playing basketball underneath the basket is no different than playing basketball anywhere else on the floor....

Videotape is so prevalent at a ball games now I will not want to be the one that has the videotape sent in and have the call be obvious and have someone else see it... If the coach knows the rule try to explain "but coach he was under the basket he cant take a charge"....The coach will know you are wrong.... You have lost all credibility the rest of the game. Coaches question us all the time. Judgment has angles, perspective... Getting a rule wrong is something we never want to get wrong and we have the ultimate control over that...