View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 17, 2009, 04:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face Another try at the most misunderstood rules

Following yet another kids rec league meeting with our coaches (volunteer dads and moms), I've come up once again with the 10 most misunderstood rules by coaches. I think this list probably is valid for "real" HS coaches also. Here they are in no particular order. Any comments will be appreciated, along with any other rule listings.

during the shooting of technical foul free throws, all non-shooters must stand behind the division line

during the final two minutes of the first and second halves, the ball may be advanced to the division line for a throw-in following a timeout

earrings may be worn by players if they are taped over

an offensive player may not be called for a charging foul if the contact occurred under that player’s basket

there is no 5 second closely guarded count if the player with the ball is dribbling

if a player dives for a loose ball and his momentum causes him to slide and/or roll on the floor, it is a traveling violation

during a jump ball, neither jumper may touch the ball more than once

if a defender reaches over the boundary line on a throw-in and hits the ball before it is released, it is only a technical foul if a prior warning has already been issued

if a player takes a shot and the ball does not hit the rim or backboard, it is a violation if that player is the first player to touch the ball

if a dribbler in the back court advances the ball to dribble in the front court, and then dribbles again in the back court, without both of his feet having touched the front court, it is a violation

Oh yeah - I forgot one.

it's OK to yell at the refs