View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial View Post
Then why are we calling it a block if a defender is under the basket? Because there is no way he can defend an offensive player under there, how is one expected to defender a player with his back to the offensive player? The kid is not even playing defense, lets go ahead and reward bad defense.

I'm going with what John Adams has said in the very room I was sitting. Defensive players job is to stop an offensive player. Not much defense going on with their back to the offense.

Yes I will call it a block
MO, how many players are there on the team with the ball? Is B2 only able to defend A1 or can B2 actually be defending someone else...denying them the ball?

By A1 running into the back of B2, A1 has prevented B2 from defending A2 or from getting a position for a rebound.

The problem with your position is that it opens a nasty can of worms. By your standard, the offense, in order to draw a foul on the defense, only has to find a defender with their back turned and crash into them....anywhere on the floor. How do you think that is going to work out?