View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial View Post
I'm going with what John Adams has said in the very room I was sitting. Defensive players job is to stop an offensive player. Not much defense going on with their back to the offense.

Yes I will call it a block
I'm glad to hear you were in the very room Mr. Adams was when he was talking. It's too bad you weren't paying attention to what he said.

First of all, as pointed out before, this rule change and philosophy only applies to NCAA-M, not NCAA-W or NFHS. More importantly, the rule involves a secondary defender not being able to obtain initial legal guarding position while positioned in the unmarked area directly under the basket. The rule does not say, and Mr. Adams did not say, that all contact with a defender under the basket can never be called a charge. In fact, the reason for this rule is to prevent a secondary defender from coming over on a drive and trying to obtain initial LGP while standing directly under the basket and taking the contact. It does not remove any of the other principles of a player being entitled to a spot on the floor if they get there first, and does not give the offensive player the "right" to run over any defender who is not looking at them.

In the initial play, the OP did not state whether the defender B2 was under the basket, only that they turned away from A1 to look for the rebound. But, in this play, this would be still be a charge under NCAA-W and NFHS rules, as well as the new NCAA-M interpretation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial View Post
Then why are we calling it a block if a defender is under the basket? Because there is no way he can defend an offensive player under there, how is one expected to defender a player with his back to the offensive player? The kid is not even playing defense, lets go ahead and reward bad defense.
Cool, so I suppose you have never called any rebounding fouls on players from behind, as the player who is legally blocking out certainly can't be "playing defense" since their back is to the opponent?

You obviously have your own philosophy as to how the game should be called. Unfortunately it differs from how the rule makers want it to be called.

(Used with permission.)