View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Some coaches know very little about the rules. They think they know them by heart, and there will always be those types of coaches. It's annoying getting into a whizzing contest over this because nothing will convince these types of coaches otherwise. Same as the officials who think after one season of j-high and jv they're ready for at least D-III football. Maybe states should require that every coach take the on-line open book test every year or two so they will spend at least some time in a rule book. I've had guys tell me it's okay to hit someone laying on the ground with the ball even if the whistle hasn't blown. I've had guys tell me only two men can go downfield on punts until the ball is kicked. I've had guys tell me all sorts of stuff over the years and the kids hear the coach and it affects them. And all I can do is make my point with the coach, knowing full well if I'm right or not. If it goes far enough and they won't shut up, my only resort is to bring out the big bad yellow flag. When it gets personal, as it did once in my case, I don't waste any more time with them.