Thread: 3 yard box
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I thought this rule would have so many problems and we have had almost no problems at all. Coaches stay out of the box. Of course you get some that like to linger in that area, but they seem to not be there when play is around them. In some cases the teams have moved the players further back than required. This is great so far.

Peace
I had a rather unpleasant experience last week during a varsity game.

Coaches were told prior to the game to stay out of the restricted box. I told the HC on my sideline that him and his assitants need to be out of my way while the ball was live at all times.

3rd play of the game, I run into an assistant in the restricted area, flag comes out, and they get the warning.

As usual, the coaches make a big show of telling the players to get back - but of course the players are not the problem.

Anyway, it is pretty much ok until the 4th quarter. Game is tied at 21, and the intensity level is very high. I start getting coaches in the box again, and I tell them several times that they must get out of my way, and back up.

At one point, I actually tell the head coach "Coach, don't make me bang you for five over this in a tied game" In retrospect, I think this was a mistake, more on that later.

Other team has the ball with about 3 minutes left in the game, and they are driving. Third and seven, and I glance to my right, and there is the DC crouched down on the sideline, about a yard or two away from me - right where I am going to need to move. I tell him, kind of to the side since the snap is imminent and I don't want to take my eyes off the field "Coach, you need to get back!" and actually reach out and tap him on the shoulder.

Ball is snapped, a run off tackle to my side, I start to slide up field, BAM! run right into him, again. I toss my flag, and the runner gets about 5 yards on the play, and with the 5 more from the sideline, it is a first down.

Team goes on to score the game winning TD, and the team on my sideline cannot answer, so they lose.

Of course, this is all my fault, and I lost them the game, how can I throw that at such a critical juncture. An assistant actually screams at me as I am running off the field that I should be ashamed of myself, etc., etc., etc.

Fast forward to this week, and I have that same team again, this time at their home. The HC during the pre-game asks about the restricted zone rule, because "it costs them the game last week" while he is looking right at me. I go over to talk to the chain crew, and they regale me with tales about how the announcers during last weeks game (it was on a local channel) where talking about it being one of the worst calls ever.

Joy. I will throw that same flag next time though. In fact, the one thing I would change is to not bother with the warnings in the 4th. I didn't want to throw the flag, so I held off, and then when I ran into the guy, I don't think I had any choice anymore, and that happened to be a rather critical play.

edit: And of course, in this area coaches get to rate the officials, so that will be a nice juicy '5' for me and I can forget about a post-season assignment next year.

Last edited by Berkut; Mon Oct 12, 2009 at 10:50am.