Thread: 3 yard box
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

We don't work crews here, but every crew I have worked on this year has thrown several each contest. My point is in Baseball they get 1 on deck hitter, 2 base coaches and a dugout to be in. In basketball they have a nice well defined team area to stay in. But here they have an area that IMO the Fed is saying, well we need to do something, but we can't take 3 yards away from them so we will let them be in it some times and not in others.

It is easier to enforce and officiate if it is one way or the other. If it is about safety, them keep them out all the time. And yes, just like the airport, no parking. You would never have a coach in there for any reason than to cross durring a TO. Aside from that flag them every time and they will learn.

I guess my issue is that younger/less experienced officials tend to work the flanks in my area and it takes time to develope managment skills. My other issue is who is looking in the box when the ball is live? If it were an all the time thing it could easily be apart of your presnap routine, but as it is written it cannot be. Make a rule that is easy to consistently enforce.