View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIG View Post
Not sure if I agree with your interpretation of rule 7-2-5b excep. 1. I believe the intent of this rule is to make the snapper ineligble. Two reasons. #1 - why even have this rule if Team A could always justify that their snapper was eligible by saying that another lineman was using the numbering exception. #2 - to qoute the rule "if Team A has the snapper in the game under this exception, Team A shal have at least four players wearing numbers 50-79 on its line of scrimmage". The key words to me are "at least". This means that Team A could have 5 or 6 linemen numbered 50-79 in on this field goal formation, but the snapper is still ineligible and cannot be on the end of the LOS. I believe that if it is a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down field goal formation, the snapper can be whatever number but will need to be between the ends and is an ineligible pass receiver unless the pass is touched by B. Still, it will be worth some discussion at our next meeting.
The intent of the rule is to ban the A11 offense.

The original intent of the numbering exception for scrimmage kick formations was so that:
1) If the team's long snapper was numbered 1-49 or 80-99, he could legally snap the ball in a normal balanced formation, in which he is the center, without sacrificing an eligible receiver by having an end numbered 50-79.
2) If the team was punting, the team could use players numbered 1-49 or 80-99 for the coverage team, as they may be better for the job than normal linemen.

After teams starting taking advantage of this rule on every snap, the numbering exception was re-written.
Exception 1 allows the long snapper to have an eligible number in a balanced formation for field goals, without a fifth player numbered 50-79.
Exception 2 allows for any player to have an eligible number on 4th down, for the punting situation.

If the snapper is not between the ends, he is by definition not in the game under the numbering exception. He's eligible by number and position. There are five linemen numbered 50-79. The formation and numbering are legal.