View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppaltice View Post
No.

If it is a scrimmage kick formation meeting Rule 7-2-5b, the snapper could be eligible if he is on the end of the line and has an eligible number. Depending on the down, you could have other players with eligible numbers that are in under the numbering exception. This is covered in Rule 7-2-5.

Definitely, if the snapper is on the end of the line, he is not in under the numbering exception and if he has an eligible number, he is an eligible receiver.
Not sure if I agree with your interpretation of rule 7-2-5b excep. 1. I believe the intent of this rule is to make the snapper ineligble. Two reasons. #1 - why even have this rule if Team A could always justify that their snapper was eligible by saying that another lineman was using the numbering exception. #2 - to qoute the rule "if Team A has the snapper in the game under this exception, Team A shal have at least four players wearing numbers 50-79 on its line of scrimmage". The key words to me are "at least". This means that Team A could have 5 or 6 linemen numbered 50-79 in on this field goal formation, but the snapper is still ineligible and cannot be on the end of the LOS. I believe that if it is a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down field goal formation, the snapper can be whatever number but will need to be between the ends and is an ineligible pass receiver unless the pass is touched by B. Still, it will be worth some discussion at our next meeting.