View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
2. Continue to disagree in a manner that is not offensive, but eventually get ejected, and in some states loses multiple games to a suspension, pay a 3 figure fine, and take a mandated on-line coaching course or be suspended by the state organization. Meanwhile umpire X gets off more or less scott free, though if the state association or an assigner hears about this something might get done.

My point: I have a hard time with states fining coaches for getting ejected unless the behavior is such that they are a definite bad example of bad sportsmanship. If I was coach X, and knew this was an incorrect call, then I would probably push the discussion far enough I would get ejected.

What is the solution for the manager, who has a lot riding on this game?
Seems to me that all coaches who complain ARE SURE that they are correct and the umpire is wrong(minus the 1/10 of 1% who want to get tossed to motivate the team).
How does "pushing the discussion far enough I would get ejected" in any way help you convince the umpire to change his call? Thats just self serving to make yourself feel better.

Bad behavior is bad behavior and should be punished, whether its the 7th of a championship game or the 1st season game of a team that has no chance of even going .500(though Id give the championship game coach a LITTLE more rope, depending).

True, umpire mistakes happen, but rarely, if ever, do they make the only difference in a win/loss.
Did every batter go 3 for 4? No errors?, F1 didnt have a BB or HBP? Coach didnt send a runner who was thrown out? "But wait, that Blue, who we dont know, made a mistake, so the loss is his fault!!"--classic coachspeak.

The umpire in the OP was very wrong, but to answer the Q "what does a coach do when he he has alot riding on the game?"-- Realize that you cant control everything, and remember that 10 yrs from now- those players wont remember that game so much as they will recall your actions as an adult- to laugh at, or emulate as a good example...