View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 08:21am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
I've found it's usually not a good idea to embarrass a coach in front of his players. You're never sure in what direction that might take you. However, I see no problem in quietly, and calmly, advising the coach as privately as possible that he has a choice. He can mind his manners and keep his comments to himself, or he can choose to say whatever he wants as loudly as he likes in the parking lot.

It's his choice and it's irrevocable.
As you can see in my clarified posting, I wasn't setting out to embarrass the assistant. In my sitch, the head coach was very cordial throughout the game, while the assistant had plenty to say (nothing bad, just incessant chatter about this and that which I usually don't listen to until it becomes personal). He just finally pushed a nerve when he "decided" he would ask why I didn't flag something. That's when I told the head coach to muzzle the assistant before it hurts the team, especially when it was a freshman game. How the head coach decided to muzzle him wasn't my business but it was quite amusing.