View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Wouldn't the time to enforce 10.1.9 be before the ball is handed to B1 for the throw in? Since play was allowed to continue with only 4 players on the court A5 then became a substitute waiting to be beckoned onto the court.

For this reason when A5 stepped onto the court without being beckoned I would think 10.2.2 would apply instead wouldn't it?
The problem with this is A5 was one of the 5 players before intermission, and should've been one of the 5 after. So she is not a substitute, because she is not replacing one of the 5 players on the floor. I think that is why they added 10.1.9, to take care of that "loophole" of player vs. substitute.

I also agree with Camron, in that the case play does mention the T is issued after the player comes back on the floor to accept the pass, not at the time the ball was put in play. So it appears the committee is saying it's ok to play with less than 5, but as soon as the player tries to come on the court during a live ball, a T is issued. Not because of an illegal susbstitute, but because of all 5 players not coming back unto the court at approximately the same time.

(Used with permission.)