View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

I can see Mikes point on the video; however, IMO, the runners actions are not a "callable" offense. Its not quantifiable.. the observed offense is the obs.

The obvious blatant (retaliatory?) OBS is what should be called in that play (and was).

I dont have a preference on how OBS should be enforced, punitive - (MLB/NCAA) or not punitive (ASA), but I do think that video is a good example of why punitive punishments are sometimes good. That OBS was worth an extra base IMO. ASA could change it tomorrow and I would be fine with certain punitive punishments.

I will add that sometimes, as umps, we get caught up in what terms are common use ("interfering with a runner", "clicker", "foul tip") vs the technical "by the book" usage of a term.

In my profession we use a lot of legal terminology and abbreviations and government codes we all understand; however, when dealing with the public, we are supposed to use a layman version (and no abbreviations) as much as possible to make it more understandable. There is no need to show your expertise (for lack of a better word) by using terms that they dont know. Just use language they understand.

I think its fine and i try not to get hung up on certain terms when lay persons use them in my direction.

Announcers, are, IMO, lay persons. They are not umpires. They are a "talent", meeting criteria as too looks, voice, and presentation.. entertainment. They will use terms lay persons use, not terms an umpire would use at a rules clinic or discussion.

If they call a "tipped foul ball" a "foul tip", I would not correct them, I know what they mean..

if they say "that defender interfered with my runner", I wouldnt say something idiotic (but I've heard before) like -"well with interference, your runner is out"... we know what they mean and there is no need to correct the coach, address the issue, not the language used. You should use the correct term in response, but not correct his usage of the term... the term usage is NOT your issue.

And nothing I love more than to irritate an umpire by calling my indicator a clicker.

Its kind of like OOOOMB

Obnoxious over officiating on a message board.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 01:16pm.