View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This interpretation was given back at the rules meetings and on our personal web pages about a month ago. It has been rather well known they did not want a horse collar tackle call on this play (notice I said call).

Peace
Maybe your personal page is different than mine because I can't find any references stating the definition of a runner varies from the NFHS definition and that a HCT on a runner (who is simulating possession of the ball) should be called a PF. I see a bulletin that no judgement is needed on a non-runner being taken down by what would be a HCT if the player were a runner. This bulletin states that this action is always a PF.

I attended two rules meetings in person (IACAO & an association) and viewed the online rules meeting and don't recall the changing of the definition of a runner or a HCT.

Maybe you can point me in the right direction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/11 Horse collar

Boys Football

This is just a reminder to all officials that to have a horse collar tackle you must have the back or side of the collar and the force must be applied BACKWARDS. That is the rule.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

8/12 Clarification on Horse collar

Boys Football

SITUATION 1: A1 is carrying the football when B1 grabs him by the inside back or side collar of the shoulder pads or jersey. A1 then: (a) fumbles the football and is subsequently brought to the ground by B1; (b) crosses the goal line to score a touchdown and is then brought down by B1; or (c) crosses the sideline and is then brought down by B1. RULING: The official must judge whether or not a personal foul has occurred, but if called, it cannot be a horse-collar tackle. COMMENT: B1's contact on A1 meets part of the definition of a horse-collar tackle in that he grabbed the inside back or side collar of the shoulder pads or jersey. However, in (a), when the runner (A1) fumbled the football, he was no longer a runner. In (b) or (c), when the runner (A1) crossed the goal line or sideline, the football became dead and A1 was no longer a player (in possession of a live ball). (2-26-13; 9-4-3k)

Officials and Coaches: This is the exact ruling that has been sent out by the NFHS. The IHSA is more restrictive in this ruling this year as stated in the online rule interpretation meeting. The IHSA will not have the officials make a judgment on whether this is or is not a personal foul once the runner crosses the goal line or the sideline. In (b) and (c) above, this Will be considered a personal foul as the horse-collar was the reason the player who carried the ball was brought to the ground. Remember, that when the ball crosses the goal line or the sideline, the ball is dead and we no longer have a runner by definition but we do still have the act of bringing that runner to the ground by the horse-collar act.

The IHSA will error on the side of safety and this will be called a personal foul and the penalty assessed accordingly.

Last edited by InsideTheStripe; Tue Oct 06, 2009 at 10:22pm.