View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 10:48am
TODO: creative title here

For varsity, my crew goes over this in the pregame meeting with the Head Coach. We explicitly state that a punch back means the closest receiver is off the line, hands at our sides means he's on the line. We also explicitly tell the coach that if the receiver asks "Am I ok?" that we can't answer that question, since we don't know where he's supposed to be. If the player asks "Am I on?" or "Am I off?", we will give the appropriate response.

For lower-level games, I tend to be more and more lenient as the players are younger and younger... Varsity, no tolerance. JV, almost no tolerance. 9th grade, maybe slight tolerance. 7th and 8th grade, I'll give them a bit of leeway, especially if the field markings are faded or crappy (I've worked games on fields with yard marks every 10 yards only, originally painted 3-4 weeks ago and not re-painted since despite a couple of mowings and a rain shower or two. If I'm having trouble discerning where the LOS should be, I'm not going to get too worried about if the players are a foot or so out of position).